«Of all the stories of dust-covered hotels with illustrious reputations and pasts that have miraculously been awarded a new lease of life, that of the Hotel Saratz is perhaps the most magical.»
(Translation of quotation from BILANZ magazine 10/2000)
In 1865, a traditional Engadine farm house was converted into the Pension Saratz and in 1875, the era of belle époque, extended to create a splendid first-class hotel. The Hotel Saratz quickly established itself as one of Switzerland’s best 19th century hotels. The hotel experienced its heyday as a member of the Hotels de tout Premier Rang Suisses (today Swiss Deluxe Hotels) under the management of four generations of the owning Saratz family.
Many leading personalities from industry, science, the arts, politics and the diplomatic world from Switzerland, Europe and beyond were regular guests at the Hotel Saratz during the Engadine mountain summers. In 1973, owing to the lack of a family successor, the hotel was leased out for the first time. And so for the next 21 years, the wonderful hotel, full of atmosphere and characterized by its turn-of-the-century charm, was run on different principles as the 3-star Hotel Atlas and developed for winter business.
Over the years however, the hotel became badly in need of renovation. Soon, lack of investment and various shortcomings resulted in the 3-star hotel only being able to offer 2-star standards in terms of room comfort, cuisine and facilities.
In the 1990s, the 5th generation of the Saratz family took the fate of their hotel back into their own hands in order to recover its former class and grandeur. Since then, around 50 million Swiss francs have been invested in total restoration. The complete renovation of the existing building substance and an extension with an impressive new building were planned and realized with architects Hans-Jürg Ruch and Pia Schmid from Zurich.