The interior of planet earth holds enough energy to ensure the supply on its surface – and that in a clean and environmentally friendly fashion. Reason enough for Hotel Saratz to build its own geothermal energy production facility.
Brief explanation of the facility:
- A borehole with a depth of 1347 m, the first in Switzerland, was sunk in the hotel garden for the production of renewable energy.
- Water circulating at this depth is warmed to 40°C quite naturally by the heat of the earth.
- This warm water is introduced into the circulation system by means of a heat pump. During this process, the available heat is extracted and then the water is getting pumped back into the circulation system.
- Hotel Saratz uses the energy gained to heat the hotel’s indoor pool and wellness zone as well as part of the hotel complex. Oil-fired heating is also available to cover times of peak load.
- The result: by this means, Hotel Saratz saves about 100,000 litres of heating oil per year, equivalent to a CO2 emission of 310 tonnes per year. Around 80% of the heating requirement can be met by using geothermal energy. We are proud to have such a positive impact.
Hotel Saratz is thus making a contribution to maintaining the quality of air and life in the Engadine for future generations. The valley has an affinity with, and a long tradition, in the energy sector: it is the “dry chamber” (322 annual days of sun) and at the same time one of the water-wealthiest valleys in the Alps.